Interview with Esau Mwamwaya

Photo by Johan Karlberg

Photo by Johan Karlberg

Interview with Esau Mwamwaya of The Very Best
Originally posted: February 28, 2010
on TheAmbitiousC

Quite sometime ago back in 2008 I was enticed to download what I saw dubbed as "The Very Best" mixtape which was available free on myspace. Fascinated by the plethora of cover songs ranging from "M.I.A." to "Michael Jackson" sung in Malawian Chichewa this instantly became a classic in my mind. Gathering up momentum for its eclectic mix of Malawian vocals, electronic beats and sampled classics "The Very Best" eventually came out with their own album "Warm Heart of Africa" to critical success. Composed of Malawian vocalist Esau Mwamwaya and the electronic duo Radioclit, the band first came into conception when Etienne first bought a bicycle at Esau's newfound East London used furniture shop.

My fascination with the music soon led to friendship with Esau Mwamwaya whom I was due to interview on his first North American tour. However due to passport delays the Toronto leg of the tour never came into fruition. Months later with the prospect of interviewing long and forgotten, we finally sat down and chatted online about Esau Mwamwaya and the men behind "The Very Best".

Peter: Hello Esau how are you doing? How are things in Malawi?

Esau: Hi! I am fine and Malawi is cool since I am now used to the life after being away for a decade of years

P: With your record "Warm Heart of Africa" out it was a pretty big year last year. What plans do you have for 2010?

E: (Just) bracing for more gigs and hopefully trying to drop a third album for The Very Best by the end of this year.

P: A third album already? You're working hard aren't you?

E: Actually, I am as busy as a bee. If i am not in a studio recording then I should stick to my i-pod almost all day long.

P: Haha good one. Just don't sit there in a chair though, you might want to get some exercise.

E: (Laughs) I do exercises though! It's one of my favourite hobbies. I know I need more stamina to do all what I do on stage haha!

P: So a little bit of background here. You met Radioclit while you were dealing furniture in East London. How did it all (The Very Best) come together? You were a musician back in Malawi but after moving to London did you ever think you would be making music again?

E: I thought I could be making music still, but not in the way I do now. I did not make electronic music until I met Radioclit at my shop. People found it hard to pronounce my name and they also felt Radiooclit was a bit offensive so we decided of getting a new name by forming a group "The Very Best".

P: Well despite its electronic elements the record sounds Malawian to me. Western audiences aren’t very familiar with traditional Chichewa music. Could you tell us more about the Malawian music and the styles you sing in?

E: The music I make with the very best is not necessarily Malawian neither is it Western. The Very Best takes a no boundary approach to music so our music is described in so many different ways depending on how one feels. If you take out my vocals in my songs there will almost me nothing Malawian about it.

I grew up listening to reggae music a lot and late Peter Tosh being my favourite so my singing has some reggae feeling. Westeners are not familiar with Chichewa but I guess it's my melodies that blow people up than anything else.

P: Word is on the internet that you were a well known musician back in Malawi. How was the reaction back home with your new music?

E: I wasn't that popular 'cause I never made my own album, I only played with a band that usually used cover songs. I am almost a new coming musician here in Malawi

P: I guess you're right there's always something new about you Esau (laughs).

E: But so far things are looking up 'cause I am being featured in some important Malawian magazines and I have also collaborated with some important Malawian artists like Lucius Banda and Tay Grin.

It only comes naturally I guess. It's one of those things that just fall into one place at the right time. I have had hard times too but I am so glad that I can still sit down and look up and say " God thank you for your kindness"

P: You mentioned before that your music is based on love, politics and nature. Since we don’t understand Chichewa can you tell us what is your favorite song you recorded and what is it about?

E: Zam'dziko is about the greed most people have. Everybody knows there is a lot of wealthy nations or individuals but you will still find that so many people can't get even primary needs for their everyday life. I have learnt that if not because of poor nations, rich nations would not have been there. I have learnt that we live in the world where for someone to get wealth there has to be some one being used as a slave or even take their lives away. People kill their brothers for power or wealth. Nations fight against other nations for the same course too. We believe in giving love with conditions which often doesn't help the needy.

P: Well said, powerful stuff there Esau. You know what they say though right? Music is the language of love though and love conquers all I guess (laughs)?

E: You got it!

P: Right on man. One last question though. I've never been to Malawi but give us one of many reasons why we shouldn't be sitting at home and come visit you in Malawi.

E: Firstly, Malawi is not like one of those countries that have full access to the world (like) TV broadcasting channels. The other thing is that I don't really make shows in Malawi right now except performing at "Malawi Lake of Stars Festival" twice.

P: Alright fair enough. I guess I need to catch the next flight there.

Actually I have one more question. Tell us more about Esau businessman! You used to own a store in London didn't you? What your store it called? Can we still visit it? And lastly what did Etienne and Johan buy from your store? Is it still there in London or did you sell it off?

E: No man! I know longer think like a shop keeper (laughs)! Etienne bought a bike for his girlfriend. I just abandonned it and left for Malawi and I don't know who is there now. Used to call it House Clearance Shop. I would wish to visit it one day too (and) maybe you can come with me, haha!

P: Alright when I get to London I'll make sure to send you a picture.

E: That will be so cool!

P: Anyway. It's always a pleasure to talk to you and see you in the near future. As always thanks for talking to me today!

E: You're welcome!