Interview with Jinder



Interview with Jinder
January 30, 2010
Originally for The Ambitious C
Words: Peter Quincy Ng

Peter: A big Swedish “Hallå” to Josefine! How are you?

Josefine: “Hej hej (in Swedish)!” I’m tired and happy.

Where are you right now?

In my apartment in Stockholm.

Ok just to get things straight is it Jinder or Little Jinder? Why the sudden change of name?

It’s Jinder but it’s about to change! It’s because some singer/songwriter-dude in the UK showed up and uses my surname as his artist name… and has so done for nine years! I dropped the “little” because I felt stupid every time anyone asked me what I called myself. Why little? I’m not little anymore and so on (people asking)… so I have no idea what I’ll call myself in the future!

So last year you rang in the New Year with the release of Polyhedron on DISCOBELLE, what new surprises do you have for us this year?

I’m currently working on my album which I will release in 2010.

The Youth Blood Scandinavian Remixes EP just came out and for that disc you specifically wanted it exclusively done by Scandinavian producers. Why did you specifically showcase Scandinavian talent for Youth Blood?

Youth Blood is such a pop-song and Sweden is such a pop-country. I felt that these house producers (Scandinavian) would treat the song right, and they sure did.

Anything else the world needs to know about Sweden besides how great Ikea is as a store?

It’s fucking cold.

You’re also signed to electronic music label heavyweight Trouble and Bass. What’s it like being the only pop artist in a purely electronic label?

I feel like the outsider and not “one of them”… and a little more special at the same time (laughs).



Photo credit: Arash Arfazadeh

Now you’ve just been touring in the USA with your label. What that’s been like so far?

I love USA!

I guess it’s a change from your typical Scandinavian audience. Nothing like a man with a Finnish harp crashing your set back in Europe right?

Hahahaha (laughing ecstatically).

On the Polyhedron EP I heard you wrote “I Like it Casual” after writing “The Love Song” just so you wouldn’t kid yourself. I’m a bit curious about your songwriting process. What inspires you to write?

It’s different from time to time. Like Youth Blood for example is a piece that I don’t really feel anything about. It was just plain fun and nothing more to it, it’s good to write that way sometimes because it makes you feel shallow and that’s nice for a change instead of feeling pretentious and serious. I mostly write when I don’t feel very well otherwise and that’s a sad truth, and strength.

So word is you discovered synthesizers the same time you discovered boys how did that come about?

I don’t know where that comes from! Everybody writes that. I guess it’s about right but still I don’t remember having said such a thing. Also everybody knows that synthesizers are greater than boys.

Do you have a favourite piece of equipment that you own?

I’m getting a wave-drum today. I think it could become my new favourite.

Any piece of equipment we could gift you for Valentine’s Day to win your heart?

No. But I’m a big fan of food.

By the way I was just joking. You’ve mentioned you’re a master of Pro Tools 8, Logic and other important things such as reading, writing, eating and problem solving. Any other special abilities you want to share with the world before we leave you off?

I’m very good at pinball.

Well thank you Josefine! It’s been an absolute pleasure. Maybe I’ll see you the next time I’m in Stockholm… or better yet you should come to Toronto!

I’d love to.