Interview with Richard Kern



Interview with Richard Kern
Originally posted May 1st 2010
on TheAmbitiousC
Words: Peter Quincy Ng

On an early Saturday evening I found myself at Studio Gallery aka Ourspace, the mecca of Toronto’s youth culture known for it’s afterparties with Daft Punk, JUSTICE and most recently Agyness Deyn. However, on today’s schedule it included East Village legend none other than Richard Kern. Originally a photographer, Kern rose to prominence directing videos for clientele such as Marilyn Manson and Sonic Youth before making the switch back to photography again. Now with his own show on VICE magazine and even directing a video for Lissy Trullie (which he explains as nothing special), Kern is back in the game again and took a few minutes to answer my “made up on the spot” questions.

Peter: So we’re here with Richard Kern right now.

Kern: Oomph (interrupting)

What was that?

Kern: It was a burp.

How are you finding your stay in Toronto?

Kern: It’s been excellent. I’ve some really great girls – that part’s great and now I’m paying for it by being at this show.

So you first started off doing short films. How did you make the jump from shooting films to shooting photos?

Kern: I was doing photography first but didn’t really make the jump, I just went back to it.

But you were first known for your directing music videos and short films though?

Kern: Yeah, yeah the videos I did just because it was easier to get known for making movies. It might be harder now.

So why did you decide to do a nude aesthetic to your photography? What’s difference in the vibe between nude and non-nude photography?

Kern: Just thought it would be fun to be doing it when I’d be old and here I am old and still doing it. It is still fun, except people think I’m a big pervert which is ok.

Ever try to shrug that feeling off?

Kern: Yeah I shrug it off everyday.

Do you see yourself having any comparisons to Dov Charney?

Kern: No I’m not a millionaire or whatever he is.



A lot of girls you take photos of don’t have the model aesthetic; just regular ordinary girls. Is there a Kern aesthetic to your shoots?

Kern: Kind of like you just said it; pretty straightforward. I’m not looking for models that look too pretty. I’m not looking for people that are not too perfect.

Just with the natural aesthetic?

Kern: Or someone you might see down the street, kind of cute but when you see them walking by it makes your day.

Speaking of someone down the street, do you ever imagine your subjects in the nude before you shoot them?

Kern: No. Actually sometimes it’s better to see them with their clothes on. You can walk behind a girl that’s wearing a pretty dress. It’s nice to watch their body move it.

You’ve been seen in the New York underground scene for awhile but how did the Vice Magazine stint come up with your own show Shot by Kern?

Kern: The main editor Jesse Pearson came up with the idea. It’s been really good for me for finding new models.

You’ve had a pretty accomplished career as a photographer anything else you’d like to try?

Kern: I think I’d like to explore being wealthy I think I’d like to try that.

Good answer.

Kern: Yeah. If you can help me figure that out I’ll do it.

I’ll work on it. Maybe we can start a modeling agency? Who knows?

Kern: Hah.